HILLSTATIONS OF GUJARAT
Saputara is a city and a Hill Station Municipality in the Dang District of Gujarat state in India.
This picturesque hill station is perched on a plateau in the Dang forest area of the Sahyadri Range. At an altitude of about 1000 m. It has a cool bracing climate, the highest temperature even in the summer do not exceed 28 °C.
Saputara means the 'Abode of Serpents' and a snake image on the banks of the river Sarpagana is worshiped by the Adivasis on festivals like Holi.
Saputara has been developed as a planned hill resort with all the necessary amenities like hotels, parks, swimming pools, boat club, theaters, ropeways and a museum to ensure an enjoyable holiday in the cool of the hill. Saputara is only 172 km. from Surat . Saputara will soon have its own airport as state government is considering the plan. Maharashtra state border is only 4 km away from Saputara. Excursions from Saputara can be made to the wild life sanctuary in the Mahal Bardipara forest, 60 km. from here and to Gira Waterfalls 52 km away.
- Vansda National park : Originally, a private forest of maharaja of Vansada, the park now covers on area of 24 km². Despite its small size the park harbours tiger, leopard, pangolin, rusty-spotted cat, python, giant squirrel, four-horned antelope etc. Prior permission from the Chief Wildlife Warden, of Gandhinagar or DFO, Ahwa, is required before visiting the park.
- Purna Sanctuary: Covering an area of 160 km², Purna Sanctuary is a part of a dense moist deciduous forest in the Western Ghat of Gujarat. Situated at Mahal, 60 km north of Dangs, the sanctuary is crossed by Purna and Gira rivers. There are bamboo-lined pathways for trekkers. Prior permission is necessary for visiting.
- Boating: The Saputara Lake surrounded by greenery makes it pleasurable to sail in the lake in a row or paddle boat.
- Sunrise Point: It is a point which offers the best view of Saputara and adjoining Malegoan could be reached after a walk of 1.5 km in the direction of Wagha. The naming restricts the tourist traffic to this best place as tourists believe that the point should only be visited at sun rise, however, one may visit it at any time of the day to catch a panoramic view. The Tata Consultancy Services has suggested renaming this point as Valley View Point to enhance tourist traffic.
- Sunset point: Gives a breathtaking view of a vast spans of Dang Forest. It provides an aerial view of distant villages in forest. This thick forest around Saputara is dotted with Adivasi (tribal) villages.
- The Ropeway: A ten minutes ride across the valley to the sunset point organised by Hotel Vaity.
- Gira falls: Makes an excellent excursion option from Saputara. Just 52 km away from Saputara the Gira Waterfalls should not be missed especially during the months of June to November.
- Gardens: Rose Garden, as the name suggests, is a spectacular garden with many variety of Roses. Step Garden is a garden set up in steps. On the steps are laid beautiful plants and flower pots. Another garden is Lake Garden on the banks of Saputara Lake, which is an excellent picnic spot. All these gardens make Saputara a beautiful place.
Gardens One another attractive place in Saputara, step garden has the unique feature of a garden set up in steps. Well laid out steps are adorned with beautiful plants, flower pots ... (more) One another attractive place in Saputara, step garden has the unique feature of a garden set up in steps. Well laid out steps are adorned with beautiful plants, flower pots and in the midst of nice woods. There is a Forest hut for the comfortable stay of the visitors, placed amidst the garden. The Garden is well maintained and offer many varieties of flowers and plants. Garden has open space for children to roam around. This is a nice place to spend the evenings away from town bustle and hustle
|You may pick up some trinkets like pen stands and key chains in bamboo et al. from the Gandharvapur Artist Village as souvenirs and gift items from Saputara.|
From Saputara you may move ahead to the wildlife sanctuary in the Mahal Bardipura forest. At a distance of 60 km from Saputara the Mahal Bardipura forest is bestowed with rivers and bamboo glades thus offering excellent walking and trekking options.
The hill resort of Saputara promises to refresh the tourists throughout the year with its cool weather. Saputara does not experience any extreme temperature variations and is an ideal getaway for the sun-scorched souls of the plains. The monsoon rains add to the magic of Saputara. Thus you may plan your trip to the Saputara hills any time of the year the best time is from middle of March to middle of November.
Accommodation is easily available at Saputara. There are few hotels in Saputara besides the cottages and the log huts that offer a comfortable stay at Saputara. For food along with the hotels there are several restaurants and wayside stalls to cater to needs of the tourists to Saputara. Even the Gujarat Tourism Corporation runs a well-equipped station at Saputara.
If you travel south-east for 15 km and cross the Gujarat border and enter in Maharashtra, you will find a number of good restaurants who serve the Bombay style food and also alcohol.
If you drive south you can also visit Vansda which is a princely state and has a good scenic sights.
List of hotels:
|Hotel Name||Rating||Type||Tariff (INR)||Contact No.|
|Shilpi Hill Resort||3 Star *** Govt. Approved||Mountain/Hill||2000||02631-237231 / 99099 17771|
|Toran Hill Resort||4.56||Mountain/Hill||100|
|Sanket Hill Resort||3||Mountain/Hill||25000|
|Vaity Ropeway Resort||4.41||Mountain/Hill||1800|
|Chitrakoot||not rated||Mountain/Hill||1600||02631 - 237221|
|Hotel Purohit||not rated,nice pure vegeterian hotel,||Opposite Water Filter House,||500-1500 avg.||02631- 237218/9|
Saputara is 420 km from Ahmedabad, 589 km from Bhavnagar, 603 km from Rajkot, 172 km from Surat, 80 km from Nasik, 185 km from Mumbai.
Air: Mumbai is the nearest airport, 185 km away.